The success of the annual ASA Aging in America Conference is due in no small part to over a hundred dedicated volunteers each year! If you would like to gain a unique and unforgettable experience by being part of the AiA20 volunteer team along with other motivated individuals, we invite you to read the information below which addresses questions about eligibility, duties, and benefits!
You must be...
- Able to register and attend the 2020 Aging in America Conference (approved volunteers save up to 50% off the regular registration rates).
- Available to attend a one-hour orientation and commit to volunteering one day during the conference (between March 23-27, 2020).
- Able to take care of your own travel, food and lodging expenses.
- A member of the American Society on Aging. (Non-members are welcome to apply and join ASA at a discounted rate in order to volunteer and take advantage of the volunteer rate. See below for registration and membership rates.)
- Not previously registered for the conference (Individuals who have already registered cannot change their registration category to volunteer, and volunteer rate cannot be offered to presenters).
- A registration fee waiver of up to 50% off the full amount.(Optional event fees are not included)
- Access to the entire conference, including five general sessions, hundreds of workshops, the exhibit hall, lunch on one day of the conference and much more (please note that some optional events are available for an additional fee).
- The opportunity to expand your network of colleagues working to improve the quality of life for older adults
Apply to be a Volunteer
Apply and register early to make sure that you secure the volunteer shift you want. (See schedule and job descriptions below.)
Once your application is reviewed and approved, we will notify you by email. If accepted as a volunteer for 2020 Aging in America Conference, you will have five days to register and pay for the conference at the volunteer rate. If you decide to withdraw your application after applying but before you have registered as a volunteer, please let us know immediately, so we can offer volunteer space to another qualified candidate.
Please note that volunteer rates are not available to presenters.
We are committed to helping you balance your volunteer responsibilities with your desired conference experience and will make every effort to schedule you for the day you request. You can help us by:
- Applying and registering early.
- Letting us know as soon as possible if you need to change your schedule (please be aware we may not be able to accommodate schedule changes once assignments are made.)
- Double check your availability before accepting an assignment in order to avoid schedule changes (unfortunately, we cannot offer a refund if you cannot attend or are otherwise unable to carry out your assignment.)
We will also be offering three volunteer orientation sessions during the conference. You will be notified of the times and days and can select the orientation that fits in with your schedule.
2/18/20 - 3/27/20
|Volunteer Professional Member||$255||$295||$335|
|Volunteer Retired (65+) Member||$170||$195||$220|
|Volunteer Student Member||$50||$50||$50|
|Volunteer Professional Non-Member*||$545||$565||$605|
|Volunteer Retired (65+) Non-Member*||$290||$315||$340|
|Volunteer Student Non-Member*||$130||$130||$130|
*Includes ASA Membership
Below are our possible volunteer options.
Conference Bag stuffing
Assist with stuffing 2,500 conference bags. Heavy lifting might be required.
Approximately 20 volunteers needed on Monday, March 23 from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
Work with ASA Staff to ensure faculty needs are met and that rooms have been refreshed, ensure attendees have valid badges, take room counts, complete provided session evaluations, assist with General Sessions. Monitor scanners in the back of the room to make sure attendees scan their badges as they enter and exit the room.
Approximately 35 volunteers needed per day
- Tuesday, March 24 (9:00 AM - 5:00 PM)
- Wednesday, March 25 (10:30 AM - 6:30 PM)
- Thursday, March 26 (Noon - 5:30)
- Friday, March 27 (8:00 - 2:00 PM)
Conference Guides and Greeters
Welcome and direct attendees to conference event locations. This job involves walking, long periods of standing, and answering questions.
Approximately 10 volunteers needed per day from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM
- Tuesday, March 24
- Wednesday, March 25
- Thursday, March 26
- Friday, March 27